Monday, June 14, 2010

Biscuit tin collection

I am making progress with my floor plan.  I will post it in a day or so.  In the meantime, I thought you might like to see some of my biscuit tin collection.  Tins have become such an important part of my work. tins3
A few years back I was  asked to create a work in response to a beautiful traditional still life...a vase of white peonies  in the Bundaberg Regional Art Gallery (BRAG) Collection. It's title just won't come to me at the moment.
In response to that work I made the attached image,  and wrote a brief statement........


'As a child I had little exposure to fine art. The only still lifes I IMAG0000encountered were the ones on the lids of biscuit tins. One could admire the beautiful tins whilst enjoying their contents! 
Once the tins were empty, they became reliquaries for all manner of things……needlework, gloves, letters. All sorts of treasures can be found in old biscuit tins.

Biscuit tins are reliquaries for memories, but the years take their toll on the biscuit tin still lifes. Progressively they succumb to the destructive nature of rust.' 
tins1

1 comment:

  1. Hello Christina!
    My name is Helen and I have found your blog by a google search for 'tins collection brisbane'. I was curious if you'd like to add a few more tins to your collection. I have several (over 10) tins to give a new home to. Would you be interested? My email is hcoathup@optusnet.com.au
    All the best and hope to hear form you soon!

    ReplyDelete