Saturday, September 4, 2010

Rachael’s obsessions!

Speaking about obsessions as I do so frequently , I must point out that  my friend Rachael has many obsessions….more than most! Her collections have grown to the point that partner Jason has had to say…‘enough is enough’. And who can blame him?
But Rachael and I know that enough is never enough.
Rachael’s collections sample all manner of goods. China, crockery,  ornaments, expensive pots and pans, drink coasters by the bag full. Clocks , watches,  glo mesh bags by the dozens, scarves, dresses, petticoats, stockings, shoes,   the ‘I can’t believe its’s a girdle’ girdle and ‘Cross your Heart’ bras.  Dresses, capes, hats  and gloves. Toys, books, school readers, dolls, cowboys and indians, Yowies, smurfs, Gi Joe and friends, leggos, old computers, mix masters, vacuum cleaners and so the list goes on.
I think she just about has one of everything that has ever been manufactured and multiples of most.
(In fact I think it’s probably easier to list those things that she does not have).
Her collection, having a life force all its own, has been breeding in dark cupboards, under beds, in the rafters and in old cardboard boxes from whence it oozes out all over the floor and competes for the household space.   
Space?…..did I say space?………….Once many years back there had been space. But sadly the family is having to live on the few small pathways left between the household facilities.
It has become such a family dilemma, that Clinton  and I felt it was our duty to take some of this ‘Junk’ off  her hands, to ease her burden even a little.
Clinton delighted in the many ornaments and his favourites…Salt and Pepper shakers.
I selected doilies for my  collages.
We didn’t seem to make any impression on the ever growing pyramid of junk. It had  oozed out into the yard where it commandeered the pool table over which it nestled its bulky  derrière, its old bras and girdles hanging out for all to see.
It is a sad story I know, but now that Jason has put his foot down, Rachael is showing signs of recovery and is slowly, but surely finding new homes for much of her junk.   The rest is going up in the attic!
( Actually Rachael is always incredibly generous with her junk. It was Rachael who left the plastic coasters and the artists canvases on my door step weeks back.  I guessed it must have been her.)
If one overlooks  her addiction, one finds a charming, forthright woman with a heart of gold.
She is a very  special friend.  Love you Rach!  ( Sorry!Just  teasing!)
fairysm I am posting a picture of one of my fairies in her honour.
Till soon   xx

3 comments:

  1. I hold my angle close to my heart..thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hold my angle close to my heart, right behind the many growing Turner family...mmmaaahhh

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI CHRIS... I ABSOLUTELY UNDERSTAND AS THIS WOMAN YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS MY BEAUTIFUL SISTER.. WHO I KNOW IS A HOARDER OF ALL THINGS BUT BY SAYING THAT... THIS OBSESSION REPRESENTS SOMEONES PAST AND HER FUTURE,,,, YOUR LATEST WORKS..BROKEN WOMEN IS SOMETHING THAT I WOULD LOVE TO SHARE WITH YOU MMMMWWWWAAAAHHHH...IVE BEEN TOLD I HAVE TO BRING MY OWN RED....BUT THE THING IS I CANT RIDE MY OWN BIKE

    ReplyDelete