Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lunch at Kathy’s

I went to see Kathy at  Avondale today (30 minutes North of Bundaberg).
She has a gorgeous ‘pole house’, I think you call it. The house is surrounded by seven acres of bushland. It is a glorious and peaceful place.
The house is full of beautiful furniture and treasures old and new, from a lifetime of enthusiastic gathering.
You can sense that this is a home  that has encompassed a warm and loving family.
The walls  are embellished with paintings by friends, relatives and Kathy herself  - a talented girl  who has an enthusiasm for her art practice that is quite captivating.
Kathy studied  Ceramics and Textiles at college . She has also dedicated herself to many years of painting and drawing .
More recently Kathy has been collecting flotsam and jetsam and old weathered objects. Many of her treasured objects are incorporated into artworks that evoke the landscape.
Some of her artworks convey a deep respect for those people closely connected to the land.
You may remember Kathy from an earlier posting about the ‘Scar  Tree’ Art Project she completed some months back. She also is quite active with her responses to my postings and you can read her interesting comments here and there throughout this Blog.
The  house overlooks a river. You can admire the river from the upstairs balcony, while you are sipping your wine and enjoying Kathy’s company.
Beautiful black swans, ducks and other river dwellers go about their business as we go about ours…..our art business.
Scar Treebwsm
Kathy and I visited her  Scar Tree and I took some photos for you to see. The tree with it’s comforting shroud made with Kathy’s tender regard,  is a moving sight.
Scartreecolourscar
Later Kathy and I watched a series of slides from the Pilbara art expedition she had been on. It had been a fantastic and intense journey for her. 
Kathy produced a lot of exciting paintings and drawings in the Pilbara. My favourite work that she created there was her altarpiece assemblage titled  ‘In her memory’.
‘It was both a prayer and a meditation on the women who live and work on the Pilbara stations, and of course on my mother’ said Kathy.
inhermemorygoodone
I think you will agree that this work is very special.
Till soon.  C  xx

2 comments:

  1. How lovely it was to spend the day nattering and sharing ideas about art with you Chris! Kindred spirits are just the most precious thing. Thanks for putting up the photos of my work. I think the black and white on the "Reparation" piece adds to the respectfulness I feel for the site.
    I'm itching at the thought of you reading the Waterlily one chapter at a time. I find it almost impossible to delay gratification; I would have to gobble it all up at once. What a piggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this blog today .. on Kathy's birthday . She is in all our hearts and always will be .. a beautiful lady and an inspiration to us all.x

    ReplyDelete