Friday, August 31, 2012

BRIDGES - (updated post)

I have been meaning to tell you that I have a part time job. I work a couple of hours twice a week. I am curating an exhibition for 'Bridges' - a wonderful organisation that offers support to people recovering from mental health issues.

The members base is the Bridges Club House, where they can come and go, and get involved with the many activities available...if they want to.

Artist, Adam Anderson was employed to be an art tutor for the members. It has been wonderful to get to know Adam. I really admire the way he works with the members. He has given them a lot of encouragement and the art group is growing in numbers.

Bridges will present an exhibition called 'OPEN MIND' from 22nd to 26th of September.
The members can enter several works for the show. Carers of people with mental health issues are also able to exhibit.

So far, we have about 50 works to show, and more coming in... I hope. There are clay sculptures that have been fashioned over wire armatures, paintings in oil and acrylics, drawings and fabric works, and a small installation . There are some stunning works that are sure to impress. I have attached a couple for you to see.

Bridges have booked the School of Arts Gallery for the exhibition. The members will hang the exhibition with the help of artist, Tony Hills. Light refreshments will be served at the opening.



The exhibition will be opened by Jennifer McDuff,who is a highly respected artist from Woodgate. She has had first hand experience as a carer and is well qualified to speak on the issues tackled in this exhibition.

Jess Marsellos, from Creative Regions has helped me with a schedule for the marketing of Open Mind. There have been three radio interviews to date ( ABC, 4BU and Coral Coast) and a great story from the Newsmail.

I am busy, having designed a poster that includes supporters logos, a date saver and official exhibition invitation. I am currently collecting artist's biographies and stories about their works.

This has been a very rewarding project for me and I am really enjoying working with the wonderful staff and members of Bridges. I hope you will come to see this exhibition.


                                                                              Artwork by Robyn
Talk art soon......cx


No comments:

Post a Comment