Thursday, November 14, 2013

Even more news from The Edge

My week has been filled with long walks to The Edge…down by the river, where the 'Biomechanical Pelicans' live. Long spiky lizards abound there in the scrub, watching your every move…still as statues unless you come too close. Kids call them 'Frillys', though there is nothing Frilly about them. They should be called 'Spikys'.  I like lizards. As I child I used to keep Blue Tongued lizards.  I was a strange child.




The river is full of charming River Hoppers… small  ferries that you  can hop on and off at various docks along the Brisbane River.  The big City Cats (catamarans) glide silent and serene across the glistening water against the big city backdrop and rugged cliff faces.   I feel the temptation to paint those cliff faces, but immediately dismiss that idea as ridiculous…I am no longer  a painter.

River noises are muted by the never ending drone of traffic.  It spoils the ambience of this otherwise  picturesque scene.  There is the constant sound of heavy breathing of the ubiquitous joggers  as they pound the  riverside pavements in droves, intermixed with the ardent lycra clad streamlined helmeted bike riders, who all appear to be training for the Tour de France.  One must be as alert as a lizard on and around the bikeways or one is likely to get skittled!!

Seriously though, the Southbank walk and bikeways are a great asset and allow for interesting outings…and I love Brisbane.

Days at The Edge can swing between great and frustrating.  Great when I have learnt something new.  Frustrating when I realise how much I don't know.  I will persevere.    c x


 

No comments:

Post a Comment