Thursday, October 11, 2012

Geocaching

Before I get back to focusing on art, I must tell you about ' geocaching'!.  I had my first experience with geocaching last week in Sydney with my son and two granddaughters...Charlotte and Isabella.

Geocaching is a  high-tech treasure hunting game being played around the world by adventure seekers. It is a free real-world outdoor treasure hunt. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smartphone or GPS and can then share their experiences online.

My son Alan had heard of geocaching and thought it would be  a fun activity for us all..

 
Geocahing treasure boxes are stashed everywhere around the world.  There are  many already in the Bundaberg area, and  they can be discovered in a very short time.   The different stashes are rated by 'degree of difficulty' to find, and I would recommend you start with the beginners level, especially if children are participating.   There are even 'extreme' levels of geocaching treasure hunts.  (Way out of my comfort zone I am sure).

You will need a smart phone or a GPS or similar.  Log in to www.geocashing.com  to find out how to get the clues to get started.

Wear suitable clothing and shoes as some of the adventures take you into bushland...as ours did.   Take water with you. Following the GPS and  the supplied clues, we found our treasure in about  30 minutes.  We had registered before the treasure hunt and filled out the small log book in the treasure container.  When we got home, we wrote in our online geocaching blog.  Several small gifts had been left in the cache for children who might find the treasure chest.   We will take some small gifts when we go geocaching next time. 

Geocaching is a great family activity that gets children and adults out into the world. It also teaches them about technology and blogging.  Try it...it's great fun!!


Cx

I hope to post some of the pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment