Sunday, May 30, 2010

Three Goddesses

sg 31 sm  sg1 sg 42 sm

Here are three of my Goddesses.  They are made by stacking up objects I have found in Opportunity  an Dump shops. 

The very first, an isolated example of this type of work of mine,  appeared years ago in 1995, when I exhibited a piece called ‘Mother’ at Greenaway Art Gallery in  Adelaide SA.  However, it is only recently that I have returned to this method of working in all earnest. (See the work ‘Mother’, below and to the left.)IMAG0000

For a very long time I collected a diverse range of things. My earlier work was quite complex. Over the years my collecting mania became more focused, and now I mainly search for biscuit tins, pieces of furniture, mannequins and needlework .

I have an very large collection of biscuit tins.  They are humble ‘reliquaries’ that hold precious things , as well as delicious biscuits. They have been used to  store gloves, needlework, letters, memories. All manner of precious things.

3 comments:

  1. I have vivid memories of trawling through junk and opportunity shops all over South East Queensland as you searched for your "little treasures"! At the time I had no idea what you were up to and my analytical brain had no success in detecting a trend. To boot, as an impressionable and self-conscious adolescent, I spent most of my time hiding behind stacks of second-hand goods, hoping and praying that none of my friends would enter and catch me in such a place (it never occurred to me at the time to question what they were doing in such a place!?!) Little did I realise what grand plans you had in store for all these once-loved items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Mother' is still one of my favorites... along with 'The Bored Goddess" of course! Have you included a picture of her on the blog? Might be interesting to show some of the early goddesses that came before the "more evolved" Suburban Goddesses! Or maybe you already have... I had best keep reading!

    Alan.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say,
    I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to the whole thing.
    Do you have any suggestions for beginner blog writers?

    I'd certainly appreciate it.

    Have a look at my page you could check here

    ReplyDelete