Thursday, September 2, 2010

Jip’s photo

I called in on Clinton yesterday to show him the photo books and posters that I had bought. Along with the cards, they will make good souvenirs of the exhibition. They will be quite cheap to buy.

blogphotobooks

Clinton wants to have a book produced, so I’m sure I can help with that after next week.

Clinton showed me one of his most complex works…it was quite amazing. A small assemblage bursting with glued and stuck china ornaments and plastic fruit. The ultimate extravagance. I love it.

We had a glass of wine and talked about Joan Winter’s upcoming exhibition in Brisbane. I had thought I might be able to send a couple of the SG’s that are not required for the Maryborough show.

I will have to drop in on Clinton again as I didn’t get all the information. We strolled down the road…just a hop, skip and a jump from Jyp’s floral fantasy.

I had another digital print to give Jyp….The portrait of him in front of his deciduous tree that he had taped the fabric flowers to.

I think he was quite pleased with the portrait. But true to form, he complained about his ‘googly’ eyes and playfully slapped me around the shoulders a couple of times.

I don’t think the man knows his own strength!!

Jip showed Clinton and I around the garden. The grass had been freshly mowed and was luxuriously green in the late afternoon light. A dark shiny green. One of those painters greens that never seem quite natural. But there it was… a garishly beautiful green carpet rolled out for royalty.

(Red carpets having become boringly ubiquitous!)

All the many plants, recently watered, stood fresh and alert in the small disorderly garden. They radiated a joyful life force, much like their owner.

Tall shrubs stood between miniature cabbages mossy green and hard as cricket balls. Jyp had just cooked one for tea.It must have taken hours! He obviously has a strong constitution.

Jip offers me a cabbage, but I decline graciously.

Jip had been waiting for two years for those cabbages to reach maturity. Patience of a Saint.

The garden was alive with promise. Spring was certainly in the air. But remember, it is an eternal Spring at Jyp’s place.

The deciduous plants though, had not burst forth their buds and blooms. Maybe they felt the floral fakes that Jip had taped around their barren winter branches, were sufficient testimony to their maker that they were fulfilling their role in natures story.

But really, I think they will probably start to move anytime soon.

Newly planted Snap Dragons, stood to attention, lining the front of the house, in between tomato plants. We walked their line….an official inspection party, and found everything in order… if disorderly can ever truly be in order.

The Snap Dragons in yellows and pinks had started flowering soon after planting Jyp reported. No doubt they knew it was Spring and wanted to make the most of it.

Their strange frilled mouths slightly open, bought out a desire in me to pinch the flowers at their sides to make them ‘talk’ or ‘snap’, as I had done when I was a small child…a rather unusual small child. I resist the temptation, being older and wiser… which really means…having less fun!

We went upstairs as I had wanted to do a restoration of an early photo Jip has of himself.He is very proud of the young man depicted there. I took a number of photos of Jip’s damaged picture.

I will get a couple of photos done of the new image processed for Jip. I have attached the digital files with ‘Before’ and ‘After’ delight.

jyp before1 Jypsuit sm

Well it’s still not 100% right, but it is a big improvement.

We wished Jip farewell, leaving him complaining to himself about the exorbitant price increases uptown for fabric flowers.

……………………………………………………………………………………

I had an email late today, inviting me to submit some works for a photographic exhibition. Subject matter preferred is of a quirky nature. Quirky comes easily to me!! I thought some photos of Jip’s house interior could be just the thing. Maybe even a 360 degree panorama!! What an exciting challenge.

Step one will be to ask Jip if he is keen to allow it. I know he will say yes.

I will tell you more about the show as things progress.

C xx


1 comment:

  1. Christine, by giving a person life again..although a million yrs later , ohhhhh the feelings that you giv is not only to the owner of this photo but to those that respect that we all have age to grow into....bring back the youth...at least for one day...

    ReplyDelete