Sunday, August 15, 2010

Catching up

Arriving back in Brisbane on Friday, I had an appointment to meet with Kevin from Artworkers.
I caught the Air Train from the airport in to Roma Street in the city. From there it was  a short ( and incredibly fast)  bus trip to Paddington.
The Artworkers building is  a strange  big cubic construction with two huge timber doors that look as if they have come from the entry of an old castle.
They were opened welcomingly wide and I could see that there was an exhibition of colourful drawings inside.
A very nice gallery volunteer named Paul advised me that the strange building had once served a purpose in the production of trams.
The menacing looking huge block and tackle device hanging from the ceiling had been useful  in that undertaking explained Paul.  So one’s fears of it being some cruel type of device  for your imminent torture were therefore relieved. Maybe they had other ways to torture you here!
I had wanted to discuss strategies for developing and broadening my audience in Brisbane. Three or four years of dealing with a series of health issues and a great personal loss, had made any kind of networking for the art practice at that time, seem discordant. In fact - it was impossible.  
Kevin gave me quite a lot of useful information and some advice on groups and people to contact. He explained to me that these were difficult times for artists and gallery owners and  the only course was to push on and keep working. 
We had unfortunate incompatibility problems with my Digital Projection discs.  They having been produced on an IBM PC didn’t agree with Artworkers Apple MACS. So we had to fall back on images I had previously sent to Artworkers for my folio there.
This was quite disappointing and I will have to check that the discs can be  read satisfactorily on either type of PC, in the future.
image
Today I prepared a few files from the DP to email to Kevin.
Tomorrow  I will check that my DP’s are functioning well on Apple or IBM, and I might look in on the Goddesses.
I have attached an image of Kim. She is a quite versatile mannequin, but she has a tendency to look rather menacing at times.
Till soon…c

No comments:

Post a Comment